Who doesn’t like ooey, gooey cheese, butter and bacon? I don’t want to beat around the bush…this is so good! I make a Loaded Cauliflower Casserole that we’ve enjoyed at home for two years now, but spaghetti squash is more of a “new to us” veggie. I’ve had it at church potlucks, but I’d not bought one to try myself. WHAT WAS I THINKING? It was so easy to make and delicious!
First off, I cooked it all day long in the crock-pot that had our chicken breasts cooking. I had put about two inches of chicken broth in the bottom of my crock-pot, 4 chicken breasts, salt, pepper and 1 Tbs of minced garlic. Nothing at all fancy! I had seen a gal on the Trim Healthy Mama page who cooked hers in the crock-pot this way and being the Drive-Thru Sue that I am, I had to try it! I was amazed. It came out soft, tender and yummy. I didn’t do a thing but cut it in half and stick it in the crock-pot.
If you don’t want to cook it that way, you can bake it in the oven. Just cut the spaghetti squash in half and place it in a baking dish on 350 for 35-45 minutes. I know some even bake it in the microwave “gasp”.. so it’s up to you!
After I cooked my spaghetti squash, I pull all the yummy “spaghetti” out of the shell. Wow, did it come out so easy after cooking all day! I filled my glass pie plate very full with just half of a squash. So, it really depends on the size of your squash as to how much you’ll need. I filled my baking dish up to one inch from the tippy top. I then did dump it into a bowl to mix the other ingredients in so I didn’t make a huge mess while stirring! (I had about 4 cups of squash.)I’m a messy cook.
In a large bowl- mix about 4 cups of squash, 3 Tbs of melted butter, 1/3 cup of heavy cream, 1/2 cup of sour cream, cream cheese or 0% Greek Yogurt, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, 1/8 cup of bacon pieces or turkey bacon chopped, salt and pepper. I then placed it in a casserole dish or glass pie plate. I put 1/2 cup more of cheddar cheese on the top. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. I like the top of mine to brown up so that’s what I look for…bubbly brown goodness! That’s it! This is an Heavy S, so you don’t want to eat it every day of the week.
* You COULD make this a full meal by adding a pound of cooked ground beef or chicken! YUM!
- Spaghetti Squash(I used half a large squash) (about 4 cups)
- 3 Tbs butter
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sour cream, ½ cup cream cheese(soft) or ½ cup of Greek 0% yogurt
- ⅛ cup bacon pieces or chopped turkey bacon
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (reserve half)
- Bake Spaghetti squash until tender and scoop out the "spaghetti.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients, minus ½ cup of cheddar cheese.
- Mix well and place in a pie plate or 9 by 9 casserole dish.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until bubbly on top!
Lesson I learned: TRY SOMETHING NEW! This veggie is so yummy and will be a real staple for us in our Trim Healthy Mama kitchen.